I had oatmeal this morning. Hot oatmeal.
What?! I don’t like hot oatmeal!
I had solid plans for a post-workout smoothie for breakfast this morning, but something about the (awesomely) drizzly and dark morning, which happily delivered a cool temperature and a definite feeling of fall, had me concocting – against my will! – a hot oatmeal recipe this morning as I went from jumping jacks to burpees to push-ups in boot camp.
Against my will, I tell you!
And I liked it.
Sorry, by the way. I didn’t take any outdoor pictures because it was raining… oh, and I still needed the flash, even though my bowl was right next to the window, because it was that dark outside!
I love the rain. Love it! Even if it forces the use of flash.
Into the mix went:
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (added toward the end)
- generous dash cinnamon
- 1 whole small honey crisp apple, chopped (added in at the end)
- 1 tbs vanilla almond butter
- 1 tbs nonfat plain greek yogurt
I can’t believe how much I actually enjoyed this, given my predisposition against it.
Am I about to become a hot oatmeal girl this winter? For shame.
This breakfast, which I ate at 9am, also kept me going until 2pm. Granted, I was busy and distracted from my tummy, but – still! And this was after a tough workout, too.
Anyway, lunch was just as surprisingly awesome, as it included beets – another food I’ve told myself I don’t like even though I haven’t given them much of a chance.
I was a big fan of this salad!
Into the mix went:
- bed of fresh baby spinach
- ~ 3 oz. (I’m guessing here) plain cooked (…obviously) chicken (“Just Chicken” from Trader Joe’s… you guys know how much I hate preparing raw chicken!)
- 2 baby beets, cooked and sliced
- ~1 tbs crumbled goat cheese
- ~1 tbs walnut pieces
- ~1 tbs Annie’s Organics Gingerly Lite dressing (I love this stuff)
I’ve also managed to have fruit three times by 5pm today, which I’m happy about.
First, the apple in my breakfast.
Then, dessert after lunch:
And finally, snack was a banana and sunflower butter:
…which I’m almost out of!
I’d be more excited about the OIAJ this will soon offer if I wasn’t so sad about losing one of my favorite nut butters. 😦
Monday Morning Workout:
5 minutes elliptical trainer warm up
45 minutes boot camp (soooo intense this morning!)
35 minutes elliptical trainer (35 min high intensity + 5 min cool down)