I have the most wonderful news ever: I ran this morning! Not for a race, not on a track, not on a treadmill… just a normal 3.58 mile run around my neighborhood.
I’m back in the game. And I feel fine.
It was the most wonderful feeling to lace up my sneakers and head outside to my regular starting point. Actually, no – the most wonderful feeling was finishing the run and knowing I was okay.
It was supposed to be a 4 mile run, but I felt little twinges in my knee and my achilles tendon and decided I’d rather play it safe than sorry. Plus, I’m out of my old running shape and 3.58 miles was far enough for me! It’s hard to believe I feel as spent after 3.58 miles as I did a couple of months ago after 6, but – hey – I’ll take it. I’m just glad I’m not more out of running shape than I am!
Anyway, I’m thrilled. Like, really, really, really thrilled. In case you couldn’t tell.
This morning’s run was interesting, too, because a lot has changed since I last ran around my neighborhood.
- The leaves have finally started changing, so it’s really beautiful right now.
- Christmas decorations are out! It’s funny that, in Southern California, points one and two happen pretty much simultaneously.
- Daylight savings time has happened, so I don’t have to wait for the sunlight anymore.
- It’s cold now! At least in the morning, which is when I run. I’m officially wearing layers on running mornings.
- Now that I’m avoiding hills, my runs will be kind of boring. I live in a very hilly area so I just kind of repeat the same streets over and over again. But I’ll take boring runs over no runs at all!
- I ran on the street instead of the sidewalk today (mostly), per doctor’s orders. I never realized what a difference it makes, but my knees felt 100x better on the pavement than on the sidewalk. I noticed it more since I was comparing the feelings side by side and actually paying attention to them. I could only stay on the street for so long (once it got later and more cars were out, I was better off with the safety of the sidewalk), but it was a good lesson for me and my temperamental knee.
Anyway, even though it was chilly, it still felt incredibly appropriate to come back and make a smoothie. It was kind of all I wanted.
Into the mix went:
- 3 ice cubes
- big handful fresh baby spinach
- 1 heaping tbs nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop Greens & Whey
- 2/3 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3 frozen peach slices
- drizzle melted coconut butter
- Go Lean Crunch! Honey Almond Flax
25 Days of Good Deeds for Christmas, Day 7
Today (and yesterday), as I’ve said, I covered the desk of a friend and co-worker at the office so that she could take a mini-vacation to spend with her visiting family.
Tuesday Morning Workout
5 minute walking warm up
3.58 mile run in 43:28 minutes, giving me a 12:06 mile
5 minute walking cool down
lots of stretching and icing!
My pace has slowed quite a bit, but I’m sure it will improve soon. I just need to get back in running shape!