There are no words to discuss how exhausted I am right now. I am writing this at the end of my first day back at work (Monday) and my body absolutely HATES me at the moment.

Anyway, let me back up so I can explain how I got here.

This weekend saw a a lot of wonderful strides toward improvement and healing from the surgery. The theme of the weekend, for sure, was progress.

First of all, I was allowed to take my first shower. Sort of. I had to bring a chair from my kitchen into my shower (well, Mark did that). I now shower while seated.


It’s… interesting. And don’t worry… if you’re one of my local friends, I promise to deeply scrub and disinfect the chair before returning it downstairs. Not that you’ll ever be able to think of anything else when you see my kitchen chairs from now on.


Anyway, seated showering is tougher than I thought it would be, and I’m constantly focused on not hurting myself (or slipping, which seems far too likely for my liking), but I am just so happy to be independently showering now. Mark washing my hair was so kind of him, but I was oh-so over the sponge baths.

I had kind of a tough morning on Saturday. It was my first stretch of time without Mark and, though I had been able to get down the stairs by myself while he was home, I had a little trouble when circumstances forced me to go up and down those stairs three times within an hour on my own.

Eventually, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. This lead me to soothe myself with an “I’m feeling sorry for myself” lollipop.


Thankfully, the day looked up immensely from there.

First, my friend Emily came over to keep me company and watch “American Horror Story” (so good!!) with me and Mark. She had come over the day before with our friends Ben and Ben, too, so she visited me two days in a row! Love that girl. (That’s the same Emily from the LA Galaxy game, by the way.)

Then, Leigh, my savior (AKA my physical therapist, whom you met the other day on the blog), came over again. While she was here, she taught me some exercises (and forced me through them), massaged the swelling down again, and taped me. Look how pretty it was!


Later, Mark decorated each of the “heads” of these pieces of tape because they reminded us both of octopuses.


The guy on the left is named “Giggly,” the guy in the middle is named “Cokehead,” and the guy on the right is my favorite, “Perky” — short for “Percocet.” Note that he’s drooling.

Anyway, after Leigh did all of that pretty tape, she wrapped me up in three Ace bandages.


I was mummified! I spent the rest of the day in the four pieces of tape, three Ace bandages, and my brace (well, no brace when I was doing my exercises).

That night, I felt well enough to try going out of the house for a little bit. I cannot tell you how nice it felt to put on real clothes and makeup. Honestly, it’s the little things.

First, I took Leigh and Mark out for dinner at an Indian restaurant. I wanted to do something to thank both of them for everything they’ve been doing for me. Also, the food was SO good. I got vegetable coconut curry, which I enjoyed with the rice and onion naan we all shared.

After that, we all made an appearance at my friend Chris’s birthday party, which had a Mad Men theme. Everyone looked so beautiful! I didn’t (and couldn’t) move around much, so I managed to take a bunch of pictures from the spots in which I rested throughout the evening. Here’s a taste of how everyone looked:







20111024-200726.jpg(Don’t you love my sexy crutches?)






Didn’t everyone just look absolutely stunning? I bet the 60’s were a nice time during which to live. It seems to me that everyone took so much care in terms of appearance.

On Sunday, Mark continued to outdo himself in terms of absolute awesomeness when he realized I was feeling self-conscious about the state of my feet (all of these people keep having to see them!!) and volunteered to give me a pedicure.


Love that kid so much. And FYI, add that to his list of talents. He’s good at everything. It’s ridiculous.

I also had a nice Sunday because Lauren stopped by to keep me company for a little bit.


Isn’t she stunning?

She also brought me lunch in the form of homemade tortillas and pulled pork, which were both so ridiculously melt-in-your-mouth AMAZING that I have convinced her that she MUST guest post with the recipes. I’m drooling just thinking about them again. That lunch was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten, period. Ditto to dinner tonight, since it was the rest of what she brought me.

I am not exaggerating. So. Freaking. Good.

Anyway, on Sunday afternoon, Mark and I went for a test drive (as in, I drove my car so we could see how I could handle it) and ran two errands. It absolutely exhausted me. When I got home, I collapsed on the couch and fell asleep as Mark made me dinner.

Still, I felt as though I’d be well enough to go to work on Monday.

I did go to work on Monday, and I was pretty good for the first half of the day, but exhaustion and aching starting hitting me hard in the afternoon (which I think was in part because my Percocet wore off). I hope it looks up from here, but I want to make sure I treat myself well. I need to make sure I heal and don’t push myself too hard.

My arms, shoulders, and back are starting to really react to the crutches. Lately, I can only go on them for a few feet before my arms start to shake! This is new. I think my body is just surprised at the new heavy use of these muscles. I also have a huge bruise forming on my ribs on the right side because I seem to lean heavily on the crutches right there. Walking on crutches is no joke. Seriously, it’s exhausting. It makes me sweaty and so out of breath! And it certainly doesn’t help that my right foot is completely exhausted from taking all of the brunt of walking and standing.

Finally, and this is such a silly complaint, but it’s just one more thing to think about: my hand and wrist really hurt from the bruise from the IV! It’s dumb, but it’s a constant nuisance.

So, all around, I’m just achy and sore and tired. It’s just getting a little hard.

Check out the swelling! I don’t know if you can really tell in my leg (I can, but knowing my leg and seeing it in person both help a lot). You can , however, definitely see it in my left ankle when you compare it to the right one.


Alright, it’s bedtime. I’m writing this on Monday night, but it’s going up on Tuesday morning while I’m at my Post-Op with the surgeon. I’m hoping I hear lots of good news. I’ll be back tomorrow (as in, Wednesday) with an update!

P.S. — Please vote for my friend and fellow blogger Eva‘s cupcakes! They’re the chocolate pumpkin ones. 🙂



Filed under Blog Posts

8 responses to “Oy.

  1. Your mother, again

    You have the best looking and most caring friends of anyone I know. Yay to your friends. Keep up the good work and get some rest!

  2. Yay for having so many wonderful people in your life. I mean, Mark painted your toe nails? Roommate of the year. Hang in there, no where to go but up. 🙂

    And, as for the IV bruise. I had an IV when I was in high school (105 degree temp and a 4 day hospital stay) and I know exactly what you mean about the bruise. Not the biggest deal ever but the top of my hand was sore for two weeks. My mom kept telling me it wasn’t a real complaint but it IS! I suddenly feel vindicated.

  3. Dang, it is really swollen! I hope you continue to heal well, get some rest!!!
    The Mad Men party sounds awesome!!

  4. Jennifer

    Kaitlin, you are definitely in my thoughts! I hope that you get good news from the doctor today and that you continue on your road to recovery!

  5. I remember when I had crutches..my arms were the buffest they’ve ever been! lol!

    And I feel for you lady; I hope you start to feel so much better soon!

  6. I am so sorry lady that you have had a challenging couple of days! Wish I was there to comfort and spend some time with you!

    Hang in there, things will improve as your body heals.

    And by the way, I think you looked absolutely gorgeous at the party! No one pulls off post-surgery better than you! 😉

  7. Pingback: Continuing to Improve | Kaitlin With Honey

  8. Pingback: Some Honest Thoughts on Recovery | Kaitlin With Honey

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s